USB not working with Virtualbox in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon - Arun's Blog

Oct

USB not working with Virtualbox in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Posted by : Arun | On : October 26, 2007

I first installed Virtualbox OSE (Open Source Edition) from Ubuntu repo. I didn’t see any option to load USB devices in the settings. The OSE version was 1.5 whereas the current Virtualbox version is 1.5.2. I thought, may be the OSE edition doesn’t support USB devices, so I removed the OSE edition and installed Virtualbox from Virtualbox.org. Even that didn’t show any option to load USB devices. I then found out from Virtualbox site that Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon removed support for /proc/bus/usb. If you have the same issue, this is what you have to do to fix it (Thanks to Virtualbox for the tip).

Open a terminal and type

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

Go to the lines as shown below:

#

# Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
#
mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
domount usbfs «» /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
mount –rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Close and restart virtualbox. You should see the USB options in the settings. You can add the devices you want. I have edited and added this information to the Virtualbox installation tips I wrote few months back.

If you are wondering what is the difference between Virtualbox and Virtualbox OSE, they are both same except the closed source one carries some enterprise features. Here is the list of features that are there in the closed source version, but absent in open source one:

• Remote Display Protocol (RDP) Server

This component implements a complete RDP server on top of the virtual hardware and allows users to connect to a virtual machine remotely using any RDP compatible client.

• USB support

VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and supports passing through USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices to virtual machines.

• USB over RDP

This is a combination of the RDP server and USB support allowing users to make USB devices available to virtual machines running remotely.

• iSCSI initiator

VirtualBox contains a builtin iSCSI initiator making it possible to use iSCSI targets as virtual disks without the guest requiring support for iSCSI.

What I initially suspected (USB not supported in OSE edition) seems to be true and may not work even after you follow the steps given above.

Source: Virtualbox

Virtualbox13

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Comments (16)

1. Arun said on 12-09-2008

Good to know it worked. :)

2. edson said on 12-09-2008

I found the problem…

Im my permission rules:
    LABEL=”usb_serial_start”
    ATTRS{idVendor}==”0403″, ATTRS{idProduct}==”6001″, \
    ,GROUP=”vboxusers”, MODE=”0660″, GROUP=”dialout”
    LABEL=”usb_serial_end”

the line,GROUP=”vboxusers” wasnt there.

I copy & paste , restart the VB and works fine

Thanks again for the help

3. edson said on 12-09-2008

Thanks

4. Arun said on 11-09-2008

Hmm. I’m not sure what the problem would be.

5. edson said on 11-09-2008

OOPs.
    It appears and I uncomment that lines , restart but dont work.

6. Arun said on 08-09-2008

I’m sorry I couldn’t reply back immediately. I don’t surf during the weekends generally.

It’s weird that you don’t have that file. Make sure the path and filename are right. If there is nothing, try adding those lines and see if it works.

7. edson said on 06-09-2008

Sorry.but there is nothing inside in :

mountdevsubfs,sg,(/etc/init.d) – gedit.

Can I copy & paste?

I dont understand….

Thanks

8. Arun said on 03-09-2008

Edson,

Did you edit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh? If not edit the file. Open a terminal, type sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh. Once the file is opened, you’ll see
    #
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs “” /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount –rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Uncomment the lines and make it look like
    #
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs “” /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount –rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Save the file and exit. Reboot Ubuntu and check if it’s working.

9. edson said on 01-09-2008

Hi
    Thanks for the tip but after i restart the Virtualbox in configuration , in usb appears this message:

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.

Código de Resultado:

And change this:
    SUBSYSTEM==»usb_device», MODE=»0664»
    For this:
    SUBSYSTEM==»usb_device», MODE=»0666»

Then:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start

Thanks for the Tip it worked great!!!

I am using version 1.6

11. Arun said on 10-02-2008

Daniel,

My tip is for Gutsy where they took the USB support out. What I wrote here was in addition to what you have told. You can find that information if you take a look at my virtualbox installation steps at

12. SDaniel said on 09-02-2008

Thanks for the tip. Only I like to agree a little information in case of doesn’t work it:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules
    And change this:
    SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, MODE=”0664″
    For this:
    SUBSYSTEM==”usb_device”, MODE=”0666″

Then:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh start

With your tip, doesn’t work it. But when I change this information, everything Ok.
    Thanks :)

PD: I’m from Colombia, so, excuse me for my english, sometimes doesn’t work too.

13. Arun said on 16-12-2007

You are welcome cvr. I’m sorry it didn’t work for you.

14. cvr said on 14-12-2007

Bah! Wouldn’t work for me in Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) even after rebooting. I probably messed up something following other tips for fixing this problem.

Thanks to Arun for posting this entry.

15. Arun said on 07-11-2007

It worked without restarting, for me. Anyhow, it worked. That’s important. :)

16. soren121 said on 06-11-2007

After I restarted Ubuntu, it worked fine. Thanks!