Mar

Installing ATI driver in Open SUSE 10.2

Posted by : Arun | On : March 12, 2007

You might have read my previous post on my experience moving from Kubuntu to OpenSuSe. I had to google to find out how to install the ATI driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 card. I did the driver installation thrice. Here are the steps to install the driver in Open SuSe 10.2.

1. Open YAST and go to Software Management. Search for kernel source, gcc and make and make sure they are installed. If not, install them.

2. Open a terminal. Login as root by entering su and root password.

3. Enter the following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux and press enter.

make mrproper and press enter.

make cloneconfig and press enter.

make modules_prepare and press enter.

make clean and press enter.

Update: If you have previous version of ATI driver installed, then follow the steps given by Mandeep Patel in the comments

Now open your web browser and go to ATI driver page, select Linux X86 (if your installation is 32 bit installation), select your card type and Click on GO button. Click on ATI Driver Installer and download the driver (in my case it’s ati-driver-installer-8.34.8-x86.x86_64.run).

I downloaded the file to download folder under my home directory.

Important: Note down the commands below before you continue. Once you issue the first command below this line, your system will switch to character mode. You won’t be able to access this page.

Open a terminal and enter the following command:

init 3

This will take you to character mode and will prompt you to enter username. Enter root as username and root password as password.

Now go to the folder where you downloaded the driver. In my case it’s cd /home/myname/download.

Now enter the following command:

sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.34.8-x86_64.run –buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-IA32

This will create a rpm file. Now enter

rpm -ihv fglrx and press tab. It should fill the file name that was converted to .rpm.

Once it’s done, type the following command:

aticonfig –initial –input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Once done, enter

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx (it’s zeor, not O).

This will open a monitor configuration utility. Make sure the resolution it displays is fine with you. Click ok.

It’s time to reboot your system. Enter reboot in the command prompt. It’ll reboot your system. You should see the right resolution once it’s rebooted. Open a terminal again after you login and type fglrxinfo. The command should display OpenGL Vendor string as ATI Technologies Inc and OpenGL renderer string as ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (or whatever card you have). This shows that the installation went fine.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments (17)

1. […] the driver from the ATI site and manually configure/build/install it, but the best guide is here (Note: for openSUSE 11.1, instead of 103 use […]

2. Arun said on 05-08-2008

Mike,

I don’t use SUSE anymore, so I’m not sure. Sorry.

3. Mike said on 05-08-2008

I have installed linux (suse) in my labtop (Gateway). It does not play music. How can i get sound driver and other necessary drivers?

4. Arun said on 25-04-2007

You are welcome EidriB. :)

5. EidriB said on 24-04-2007

Thanks alot dear Arun, worked fine to me with your instructions

Big thanks

EidriB

6. Arun said on 24-04-2007

Sorry Birger, I have no idea.

7. Birger said on 24-04-2007

Dear Arun,

any idea whether or not there is a user limitation for fgl_glxgears?
    When I run it as root 3d accelaration works fine, while as a normal user it does not work. Would you have an idea why that could be the case? The installation worked fine.

Cheers,
    Birger

8. Arun said on 11-04-2007

I’m not sure what Xorg version I had. I removed OpenSUSE and installed Kubuntu, so I won’t be able to check it now.

Xorg 7.2 was released on February 15, 2007. I’m not sure if ATI driver doesn’t support the new version. Sorry I couldn’t help.

9. Reza said on 11-04-2007

Hm, actually, running Xorg -version will give me this:

X Window System Version 7.1.99.902 (7.2.0 RC 2)
    Release Date: 13 November 2006
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.99.902
    Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX

10. Reza said on 11-04-2007

Hi there,

I tried to follow the instructions to install ATI driver on my graphic card (it’s an old Radeon 9200). All the steps were fine until i tried to force sax2 to use fglrx driver.

First of all, it said there was a parsing error, in line 147 of xorg.conf (not sure if the line number will be the same). It says:
    #”XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps”

Also, in /var/log/Xorg.log, I found error message that said:
    [R200Setup] X version mismatch – detected X.org 7.2.-1.902, required X.org 7.1.0.0
    (II) UnloadModule: “fglrx”
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so
    (EE) Failed to load module “fglrx” (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Does this mean that the fglrx driver does not work on Xorg 7.2? I just updated my Xorg from YaST. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

11. Arun said on 04-04-2007

I didn’t have the driver installed previously, so I forgot to cover that part. Thank you.

12. Mandeep Patel said on 04-04-2007

AND YEAH ONCE YOU DONE REBOOTING OPEN A TERMINAL AND ENTER THE COMMAND

fglrxinfo

AND THIS SHOULD SHOW YOU YOUR DRIVER INFO
    OpenGL Vendor string as ATI Technologies Inc and OpenGL renderer string as whatever your ATI card is…This shows that the installating went fine and you should also have 3d available now…

ENJOY…PEACE OUT!!!

MANDEEP PATEL

13. Mandeep Patel said on 04-04-2007

Mr. Arun there appears to be slight glistches which wont let me install ATI driver on my computer…I looked for it and here is the corrected things…

2. Open a terminal. Login as root by entering su and root password.

3. Enter the following commands:

cd /usr/src/linux and press enter.

make mrproper and press enter.

make cloneconfig and press enter.

make modules_prepare and press enter.

make clean and press enter.

4. Now for those pleople who have already tried installing drivers need to uninstall the old drivers that you have tried to install and then install the new drivers…This will remove the previous drivers properly…

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep fglrx)

ONCE DONE CLOSE THIS TERMINAL…

NOW INSTALLING ATI DRIVER STEP 1
    (Acquire the latest ATI driver)

Now open your web browser and go to ATI driver page, select Linux X86 (if your installation is 32 bit installation), select your card type and Click on GO button. Click on ATI Driver Installer and download the driver.

INSTALLING ATI DRIVER STEP 2
    (Generate Distribution Specific Driver Package)

Open a terminal. Login as root by entering su and root password.

Run the following command

FOR 32 BIT USERS

sh ati*.run –buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-IA32

FOR 64 BIT USERS

sh ati*.run –buildpkg SuSE/SUSE102-AMD64

The ATI Driver Installer made a driver package for your system which is now located in:

FOR 32 BIT USERS

/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386

FOR 64 BIT USERS

/usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64

IMPORTANT: Note down the commands below before you continue. Once you issue the first command below this line, your system will switch to character mode. You won’t be able to access this page.

INSTALLING ATI DRIVER STEP 3
    (Install the driver package)

Still in the terminal as root type the command

init 3

This will close X and bring you back to TTY 1

Login as root and enter your root password and now go to the directory containing the drivers package we just made.

FOR 32 BIT USERS

cd /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386

FOR 64 BIT USERS

cd /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64

INSTALL THE DRIVER PACKAGE WITH THE FOLLOWING COMMAND

rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm

After the install is finished, you need to launch the aticonfig utility

ldconfig
    aticonfig –initial –input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

GOOD NEWS Driver is installed…NOW THE LAST STEP
    INSTALLING ATI DRIVER STEP 4
    (Configuring the newly installed ATI Driver)

After the driver has been installed it now needs to be configured. Run this command after you have installed the driver.

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

This forces sax2 to use the fglrx driver. Setup your resolution and save and exit

INSTALLING ATI DRIVER STEP 5
    (Reboot)

Type the command….

reboot

And thats it you are all set…ENJOY & HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

MANDEEP PATEL

14. Arun said on 27-03-2007

I couldn’t get Xgl to work. I didn’t have time to research a lot.

15. penpen_ said on 27-03-2007

the gears got mad!

does it work fine with xgl?

16. Arun said on 19-03-2007